Street photography in Kiev part1

Metro station 117, Vokzalna. 


Since getting back into my photography there has been one genre that really interests me. One as old as photography itself and one that is really difficult to master. It is called " street photography". 

Some of the greatest photographers of all time have mastered the art of recording life on the streets of the world. People like Henri Cartier-Bresson,  Joel Meyerowitz, Eugène Atget and Elliott Erwitt tell stories through their pictures of ordinary people doing ordinary things. Of life happening. Their skill is not so much knowing when to press the shutter as to seeing something in the first place. 

During my recent trip to Kiev i decided to try some street photography of my own. To show a few hours in the life of the city through my eyes. 

What i did was to take the metro to a random station and walk around the area photographing whatever went on in front of me. The following images were taken on the morning of Thursday June 27th before and during one of the heaviest downpours i have ever witnessed.

I am rather pleased with the results. It's a photographic discipline i have never practiced before and i did make a lot of mistakes. But despite the mistakes i really enjoyed it. My eyes were open to things i would never otherwise have seen. And because of this genres unpredictable nature there is something exciting in not knowing whats going to happen next. I hope i have captured a little bit of Kiev and that you enjoy looking at them.










Comments

Popular Posts